Thursday, December 2, 2010

On the Bright Side

Unexpectedly canceled appointments always lead to a lot of stress: all of that angst in gearing up for a stressful procedure is heightened when the appointment is canceled and puts a whole chain of medical events in limbo. Then we have the sitters lined up (for Matt) that we have to contact, the day of school missed for both boys, and the hours of work missed by my husband.

On the other hand, talking to the ENT office personnel every 15 minutes this morning did give me access to Nolan's echocardiogram/EKG results: totally normal. While the ENT has not reviewed the results herself, the nurse practitioner looked at the report and gave me the information. His heart is fine, despite year(s) of severe apnea.

Nolan originally had a well-child appointment scheduled for this Friday, and I forgot to cancel it. Good thing, since the pH probe has been delayed until next Tuesday. We will go to the pediatrician tomorrow and do the routine height/weight/how-is-he-doing checkup. They also do a quick blood count at the pediatrician visits, which is important because Nolan is at risk for anemia (and calcium deficiency and B12 deficiency) from prolonged use of high-dose proton pump inhibitors.

Since we have no school or doctor's appointments today, we are going to play in the snow and finish decorating for Christmas. If nothing else, living in Western New York with a medically complex kiddo keeps us flexible!

5 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Leah,

You have an AWESOME attitude!

Life shouldn't have to be this complicated! Have fun in the snow :D

Julie

tammy said...

Leah,
I TOTALLY agree with Julie. With all you all have endured the past few years you always have such an upbeat attitude and always post the "the bright side" - the good with the bad.

I believe things happen for a reason, and for some reason, you just weren't meant to be on those nasty roads today.

Hope you had fun in the snow.
hugs!

CAUSE ME TO HEAR said...

Oh my! Snow already! Just looking at your sweet Nolan makes me cold!
I'm so glad the results were good! Have a great "off" day, playing in the snow! I'll be thinking of you as I sit inside and sip hot cider and pray it doesn't snow until January!
Joshalyn

Joey Lynn Resciniti said...

Flexibility is a good thing. Might as well enjoy all of that snow!

xraevision said...

Wow, that is some serious snow! We even heard about the closing of the I-90 up here! I hope you're all enjoying it. We're purchasing X's new snowsuit tomorrow, so we wouldn't mind some snow now.

Very good news about Nolan's heart. It's always a relief to cross a big thing off of your What To Worry About list.

My reaction to the rest of your post was UGH! I completely know what it's like to reschedule a domino line of appointments. Good luck with all of it.

Not sure I can address your reflux queries. I've actually never heard of LPR or EEGD, only GERD. X was never officially diagnosed with a specific type of reflux, but the two meds seemed to work. Now I will have some intelligent questions for X's pediatrician!

I only know enough about reflux to know that I would never tell you that Nolan should have grown out of it by now, as it can be unpredictable. X's reflux recently came back after being almost completely gone for a year.