Friday, February 15, 2008

Insurance Approval For Genetics

Hey, an insurance battle I didn't have to fight! We are approved for the genetic testing on Nolan.

I looked up the tests run by Boston University (where Nolan's blood will be sent), and their standard deafness panel consists of: Connexin 26 direct test, Connexin 26 sequencing, Connexin 30 direct test, and Mitochondrial A1555G Mutation.

I'll probably take him up on the 19th for the blood tests, since I have to pick up (what else?) earmolds anyway. This is a case of hurry-up-and-wait, since the tests take 4-6 weeks to process. If there is a positive result, the lab in Boston will call the geneticist. If there is a negative result, then the test data is snail-mailed back to the geneticist. I hope it is one of these, since they are non-syndromic. At least we can rule them in/rule them out!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear it! You guys (like so many of us) have enough on your plates without having to fight the insurance battle.

MB said...

Tell Nolan's blood to say hi to Mari's blood! That's where ours was sent too, though our list of tests was about 2 miles long. I never understood why they didn't test the common/obvious stuff. Instead they just did it all at once.

leah said...

Nolan's blood will say hello, lol! I'm not quite sure what they're testing, since we still don't have official word from the geneticist. I'm guessing from the Boston University deafness panel site. I'll update when we're done with the testing. If they see something like Mondini Dysplasia on the CT, they'll probably refine the genetic testing.