Sunday, August 8, 2010

Of Birthdays, Preschool, and Sleep Studies

Yesterday, I received Nolan's preschool registration papers in the mail. On one hand I can't believe my baby is ready to head out with a tiny backpack and join a class of other children-the time from his birth to now seems far too short to produce a three year old child. On the other hand, Nolan is incredibly ready for the extra enrichment that a preschool program provides, and I am thrilled that he will be in a class with many of his friends.

His birthday is at the end of this month, and I want to throw a small birthday party for him. One with only a few children, of course- owing to his age and to his general dislike of noisy situations. I don't have anything put together yet, but it will consist of dinosaurs (Nolan's favorite animal), cake, and possibly a pinata.

Before preschool and birthday parties can commence, however, we have one last medical hurdle to clear. Nolan's sleep study is on Monday night, and I am praying with every fervent bone in my body that the central sleep apnea will disappear. If it disappears, then it means all of the apnea was caused by his acid reflux (reflux inflames the tonsils, which then causes obstructive apnea, and long-standing obstructive apnea can induce central apnea spells). If it doesn't, then he has a separate neurological issue causing the apnea, and we will have to begin bi-pap trials.

Here's to a successful sleep study, completed birthday party planning, and a great year in his three-year-old preschool class!

2 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Leah,

Love that picture of Nolan at the beach... doesn't that just capture "Little Boy"?!

I'm chuckling to myself as I think of all the possible combinations of dinosaurs, cake, pinatas, little boys... and not liking noisy environments ;D But being outside probably helps a lot! I'm sure you'll have almost as much fun as the boys!

Praying that the sleep study goes well. Keep us posted.

Julie

Joey Lynn Resciniti said...

I hope your sleep study goes well! A dinosaur party does sound like every boy's dream. Have a great time planning!