Friday, April 9, 2010

Pre-Registered for Tuesday


I was a wee bit concerned this morning when I noticed that Nolan's cold seems to have gotten worse. He's slightly warm (99.2) and his nose is flowing. His tonsillectomy is on Tuesday, and the pre-surgical documentation states "Call the surgeon if the child has been ill within 7 days prior to surgery."

Beautiful. My mother-in-law is flying in on Sunday to help take care of Matt during the surgery, so I was really, really hoping we wouldn't have to cancel surgery.

I called our ENT's office and told them Nolan had a cold. She asked if he was coughing or had a high fever. Since the answer is "no," she said the tonsillectomy is still a "go" for launch. Some congestion or a head cold are acceptable (after all, the chronic congestion/colds are the reason we are doing the PE tubes and adenoidectomy). The low-grade fever is also OK, as long as it doesn't get above 101.5 F. Nolan normally cycles between 96 degrees-100 degrees anyway, so we're not too worried about the 99.2 degrees he's currently sporting. And no, we never have figured out why he has cyclical temperatures- it's just another part of the whole "mystery diagnosis" thing.

They pre-registered him and gave us the instructions and time of the procedure. No solid food or milk after midnight, diluted juice allowed until 5:30am. Do NOT give him his Nexium (this is a change from our MRI instructions, when we were told to give him the Nexium). We will check into the hospital at 7:30am and the surgery will be performed at 9:30am.

After a $250 co-pay, we're all set for the surgery on Tuesday. I am really praying that the rest of this cold disappears before Tuesday!

10 comments:

Julia said...

Ah, the day approaches! I'm nervous for you, but also excited -- I really hope this clears up a lot of his conductive issues and gets him started on a better hearing path. Before going to NYC for Ben's surgery, we stopped at my in-laws' place in the Catskills, where a playdate had been pre-arranged (to my horror) with some friends-of-family kids. I was terrified of germs. Fortunately he didn't get sick, but I can understand your desire to coccoon him right now. This too shall pass, this too shall pass.

Drew's Mom said...

Saying a little prayer for you all - this allergy season is really rough, so hopefully the congestion is just related to the pollen in the air. I know he'll do great - keep us posted on Tuesday!

Ericka said...

I hope his cold gets better and all goes right for his surgery, and a speedy recovery for the little guy!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Praying for you :D

leah said...

Thanks for all your kind prayers!

Nolan is still congested, but doesn't seem to be as bad as he was yesterday. Happy news! Keeping kids away from germs prior to surgery is tough!

JoeyRes said...

As if the anxiety of waiting isn't enough you have to wonder if it's going to actually happen or not! I hope it all goes well and happens as planned - a delay would be rough.

xraevision said...

I hope that everything goes smoothly tomorrow. I'll be thinking about you and your sweet Nolan!

leah said...

He's drinking the last diluted juice (prior to surgery) now, and we're heading up to Buffalo. I just hope he recovers quickly!

Apraxia Mom said...

Thinking of you guys and praying that all goes well.

((HUGS))

The Wednesday Poet said...

Here's hoping all was a go and the go went well. Nolan is in my prayers today.