Thursday, June 4, 2009

Hitting Little Snags

Nolan was doing so well the day after surgery and yesterday, that I thought we wouldn't have any of the expected complications from surgery. We haven't had anything major, but he is a little warm (99.6 degrees) and there is some bleeding and pain today. He isn't too bad, so we're going to attempt to get outside and play a little.

I do have to slather the kid in about 8,000 gallons of sunscreen, because his antibiotic (sulfamethoxazole with trimethoprim) causes sun sensitivity. It can also cause kidney stones, so he gets to drink as much diluted juice as he wants. Luckily we get to discontinue the antibiotics after this weekend.

I still don't have the results of the scintiscan, but I know the ENT's office has them. I called and inquired about them, and they told me that they would call me back with the results. No news is usually good news, though I wish the receptionist would just say, "the scan was normal."

4 comments:

Shelley said...

Hey Leah! I just wanted to say thanks for commenting on my page. Because of you I was able to find many more bloggers with D/HH children! What an awesome community of parents we have.

God bless you and your little boys!
Shelley
http://lifeofstambaugh.blogspot.com

PolyglotMom said...

He is just soooo cute, Leah! I hope that his fever goes away and everything's back to normal soon!!!

rouchi6 said...

I feel sign language has its limitations.The child finds it easier and so prefers it, at least this is what I have seen around me.They soon start to ignore speech. i hope the kids soon drop the signs as the world around is not aware of this form of communication and we need to depend on the langage of the masses. Prisha did and does try to sign but I completely ignore it and we work on it and give that sign a name.In case I am not able to understand it or understand that word as something else, we talk around it and learn the word for it. With this I am able to expand her language horizen and give her a chance to talk more.I just saw this on Lucas's blog-the opinions on signs and so thought I should write to you too about my opinion.I hope Nolan is better and eating well.

leah said...

We are constantly evaluating and re-evaluating what we are doing with our little guy. It is always something we struggle with, because as a parent you only want to do what is best for your child. Right now, Nolan is scoring ahead of his peers (typically hearing peers) for both receptive and expressive spoken language.

It is never easy to make a decision- we do not have auditory verbal therapy in our area, so we make do with the internet and John Tracy Clinic courses. We added in the signs originally because my older (hearing) son couldn't talk at the age of 2 1/2.

It is interesting, because Nolan is far more verbal than Matt ever was. His brain just seems wired for language and he has 3 and 4 word sentences at the age of 21 months! Since the current therapy is working, we're not inclined to change it. If it wasn't working, then of course we would change our course of action.