Thursday, May 8, 2008

Review Time


We have Nolan's six month IFSP review in two weeks, and I have to come up with goals. He'll be almost nine months old at the meeting, which means the goals need to be applicable for the ages of 9-15 months. Our ultimate goal is to have him attend our neighborhood mainstream school, so we are including this as a goal.
For language milestones I am thinking of:
Receptive Language:
  • Follows a one step command
  • Understanding the terms "look," "show me," and "come here."
  • Identify one body part

Expressive Language:

  • Spoken vocabulary of 5 words
  • Uses "Mama" and "Dada" to get our attention
  • Signs "more" and "all done"
  • Points to objects
  • Waves bye-bye

My brain is running on empty and I can't think of very many speech and language goals. We are doing some sign with Nolan, since his hearing brother has severe speech delay. We're hedging our bets and hoping that we don't have the same frustration issues we had with Matthew due to an inability to communicate. I can't really think of signing goals, since I don't know what to expect with development in this area.

Any ideas for goals are appreciated!

2 comments:

Loudest Mom said...

Hi!
No real advice on signing goals for the IFSP, but had to chime in and tell you how cute! the pictures of the boys are :)

also, I'm being lazy, you've probably already shared,but do you know what has caused your older child's speech delay? I know he can hear, I'm just curious if they've speculated....Delaney (my oldest) was first diagnosed w/ general speech delay- of course in her case it *was* due to hearing loss.

Love the pictures-
Melissa

leah said...

I'm still not entirely convinced about Matt's hearing status. It's probably just a severe articulation delay, but we couldn't get his high frequencies when his hearing was tested at 20 months old. We aren't sure if he was just "done" with the testing or couldn't hear them. He had OAE's at the high frequencies, so he was probably just "done!" We're waiting until he's a little older so we can get more reliable testing.

So far, we're 0 for 2 with causality- we don't know what caused Nolan's hearing loss and we have no idea what caused Matt's speech delay!