Early Intervention meetings are very informal, consisting of the service provider, the family, and the service coordinator. I love these cozy, low-key meetings. The process to create an IEP through the school district is far more bureaucratic and formal.
We reviewed Nolan's test scores, which are as follows (an average score is a percentile rank of 50, for the math-impaired):
Chronological age at the time of testing: 2 years, 8 months
3 years, 5 months (Percentile rank of 82)
2 years, 11 months (Percentile rank of 55)
3 years, 1 month (Percentile rank of 70)
Standard score 79, 100 is average (Percentile rank of 8)
He is excelling with his auditory comprehension, is age appropriate with his expressive language, and is now showing a moderate impairment with articulation.
We reviewed the goals from his former IFSP, to see which ones he has met and which ones need to be continued:
- Nolan will engage in appropriate turn-taking in conversation without additional prompting. Goal Met.
- Nolan will continue to use sign language in addition to verbalizations to express self. Less emphasis has been placed on signing because he is excelling with language skills/prefers to speak. He recognizes familiar signs- goal to be continued.
- Nolan will auditorilly discriminate sounds in structured activities from a field of six: Goal Met. Nolan can discriminate many environmental sounds including bird calls.
- Nolan will identify objects by function: Goal Met.
- Nolan will use plurals: Goal Not Met. This goal is emerging and will be continued. Some of the expressive fluctuations may be related to the fluctuating hearing loss.
- Nolan will answer simple "wh" questions: Goal emerging and will be continued. He is still noted to repeat a question at times instead of answering it.
- Nolan will discriminate and use "inside voice" and "outside voice" appropriately. Goal Met.
- Nolan will use sign language in addition to verbalizations to express self.
- Nolan will use plurals.
- Nolan will answer simple "wh" questions.
- Nolan will produce age appropriate consonants and words.
- Nolan will produce the verb plus "ing" in conversational speech.
- Therapist to provide suggestions and ideas and provide written and oral updates as available.