Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Just Not Our Day

One sick little dude


Things aren't looking very good for our hearing test on Thursday. I took Nolan to the pediatrician because of his persistant cough and the fluid coming out of his ear. It is never good when the doctor looks in your child's ear and says, "oh, this is bad. This is very, very bad."

Not only does he have bronchitis, an ear infection, and a low grade fever, but he's ruptured his right eardrum despite having a PE tube in that ear. When I mentioned the PE tube, the pediatrician took a closer look and said that the hole was quite large and the PE tube is gone. Luckily the tube in his left ear is functioning well.

Nolan got a lovely injection of high-dose antibiotic to stem the rapid infection in that ear, to be followed with antibiotic ear drops and oral antibiotics. Time to stock up on the yogurt!

We're also missing the tone hook on his left hearing aid. We have the loose earmold and the hearing aid, but no tone hook. I don't want to blame anyone, but I have a suspect in mind:


Sure, he looks innocent...



I gave the audiologist a call to see if she wanted to call off his hearing test. She wants to take a look at his ruptured eardrum and to get soundbooth results anyway, though she warned us his test results will probably be poor in that right ear. The hole should heal on its own, but it has to be monitored because sometimes a minor surgery is required to patch the hole. We'll probably end up with a hearing test about a month after this one, just to watch the hearing in that ear.

I am counting the days until cold and flu season is over!

7 comments:

Dibs said...

Ugh, I'm so sorry to hear about your day. As we all know, when the little ones suffer, so do we. I hope you can get some rest in the midst of all of this. And, I hope your little one feels better soon.

tammy said...

Poor baby! You can just tell in that pic that he doesn't feel good. And then when you have to run them around to appts., doesn't make it any easier on you either! Hope you all get your rest! I had to pick up my daughter today with a fever and sore throat, so we're off to the dr.s this afternoon as well! Hope that sweet baby is feeling better very soon!!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh poor baby!

At least we can be thankful for antibiotics. My kids always seemed like new creatures within about 24 - 30 hours.

I hope you all can get some cozy-home rest :0)

Julie

Anonymous said...

Oh poor little guy! I can't believe the cold and flu season is just getting started. Oy.

Christian and Lily's Mommy said...

Oh poor little guy, and POOR MOMMY!
Sending lots of WELL wishes to your house :)

:)

Karen Putz said...

Awww, poor guy! Hope he feels better quick!

Landry said...

Poor guy!!