Tuesday, March 30, 2010

John Tracy Clinic: Pre-Planning


I received our informational packet for the John Tracy Clinic Summer Session. We have already purchased plane tickets to Los Angeles, but there are a lot of things to do prior to our trip. John Tracy was wonderful and included a checklist for the forms which need to be submitted before we leave:

  • Confirmation of Participation (Check! Completed online).
  • Housing Reservation Request (Check! Completed online).
  • Children's Immunization record
  • TB Test/Clearance for children participating in program
  • Audiology documentation request
  • Adult health statement and TB test/clearance
  • Arrival date and time (Check! Completed online)
  • Any test results (hearing and developmental) recently received.
I will schedule Nolan's TB test after we finish the tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy/PE tubes- probably sometime in late April or early May. Dennis and I will get ours around the same time- Matt doesn't need the test because he is too young to participate in the sibling program and will be staying with grandparents during the trip.

The audiology documentation request is for our audiologist. We will take it to her when we go for Nolan's hearing test in May. She will send in all of Nolan's hearing test results and will fill out a "permission form" for John Tracy to adjust Nolan's hearing aids. Knowing our audiology clinic, I have a feeling they will decline this portion of the form and will check off the "I would prefer changes not be made if John Tracy has suggestions for this child's device programming or audiological care." Our local audiology clinic does not do aided audiograms and believes they are invalid for digital hearing aids. This will be interesting, since Nolan has never had an aided audiogram and I have a feeling there will be a bit of a disagreement between John Tracy and Buffalo with regard to Nolan's hearing aid settings.

Nolan is having language and developmental testing performed in April, so those results will be sent along to John Tracy as soon as I can make a copy of the records. I'll also send along a copy of his hearing test report when it is completed in May.

July is only four months away, and I am getting really excited for this trip! Los Angeles, here we come!

11 comments:

Julia said...

Hmmm. I was just going to say that we've had aided hearing tests, but I guess Michelle didn't actually produce an audiogram or use them to adjust his HA program. We had one last August to test his speech recognition with just the aid alone.

Apraxia Mom said...

I hope that this trip is both relaxing and educational for you all.

Any room in your luggage for me and my baggage? LOL!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

That is exciting! Hope it's both productive and fun ;D

Julie

leah said...

BHSC feels that aided audiograms with digital aids are misleading, because the aids are designed to "suppress" sounds like pure tone beeps (which will give you an inaccurate picture of what the aids are doing). Other places in the country do aided audiograms (with pure-tones), so there is definitely a disagreement with how to verify the aids are functioning.

We want to get aided speech detection and a HINT test in the future... it is difficult because Nolan's chronic conductive issues make finding his unaided thresholds difficult (much less his aided ones)! He's always in the same range (moderately severe/moderate) with his unaided values, so at least we're in the ballpark.

Pattie, hop in the suitcase and we'll go to Santa Barbara for a weekend! LOL!

The Brights said...

I am very excited for you guys!

We loved it there and would go back in a heart beat.

I'm looking forward to your posts at that time. You do such a great job recapping all of your family's experiences.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Leah,

This is off-topic, but I'm having trouble with my comments. Oddly, there's a funny one from you (about the MSDS sheets and chemistry) that I keep clicking "publish" but it won't publish. Then it disappears for awhile and then it comes back.

Argh.

Anyway, wanted you to know I wasn't blacklisting you!

Julie``

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh my goodness... now I'm really weirded out. That comment DID publish... back in October. But it's popping up in my "Comments waiting for moderation" section.

Blogger and me... it's a love/hate relationship.

leah said...

Blogger likes to play tricks with your mind!

MB said...

I'll bet you can convince those JTC audiologists to make programming changes anyway. Just tell them you'll deal with the repurcussions when you get home! Always easier to ask forgiveness than permission, right?

Christian and Lily's Mommy said...

So excited for you all!

Joey Lynn Resciniti said...

Julia's had only one aided audiogram. She'll be aided two years this month. I can understand not wanting some tug of war with the hearing aid settings! That's really exciting you're getting to go to LA. John Tracy Clinic is awesome!