Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Hearing Aid Envy


I was wondering where all of my sewing thread went...

Now the real problem: how to make a 2 year old understand that we put things in Nolan's ears, but NOT in Matthew's ears. At least he didn't stick something more dangerous in there!

As for other updates, Matt is starting to talk more and more. He probably has around 25 words now (up from just six about 3 weeks ago- amazing). Signing has really helped clarify his points, though he is beginning to drop sign as his verbalization increases.

Nolan's had a cold, and I'm hoping he gets over it soon. We don't need any additional fluid in his ears, and the CT scan is now less than a week away. We had his six month old well-baby appointment: he is now 26 1/2" long and 15 pounds, 6 ounces. His head is 46cm, which is a bit big (especially considering his head used to be in the 50th percentile). The CT scan should shed some light on that situation.

I might also have a lead on a speech language pathologist who has worked with deaf/hoh kids before! I have no idea if she has room on her caseload, but you can bet that I am planning on being as persistent as I have to be to get her. Maybe there is no TOD in this area, but there IS a SLP who has worked with hearing loss before. I want her!

1 comment:

Megan said...

I think it's great that you got a picture with Matt putting things in his ear. It's so funny how the older sibling adapts and interprets his younger brother's hearing loss and aids. Sophie puts the hearing aid stickers on her babies and just the other day she was saying how my parent's dog needs to go to the doctor to get hearing aids because she doesn't hear well.